The Daughters of Charity is a company of consecrated women founded by St. Vincent de Paul and St. Louise de Marillac. Engaged in multiple forms of services to the poor, social welfare in schools and in parish activities, the Daughters of Charity are wherever the poor are found.
The Little Company of the Daughters of Charity begun on November 29, 1633 in a simple house in Paris when St. Vincent de Paul placed the twelve Daughters of Charity under the guidance of St. Louise de Marillac to live together their ideal of serving God as servants of the poor.
Sent by a Royal Decree of Queen Isabella II, fifteen Daughters of Charity arrived on Philippine soil on July 22, 1862 aboard the frigate “Concepcion” headed by Sister Tiburcia Ayanz, DC, two Vincentian Priests, two Vincentian brothers, seven Jesuits and thirteen Recollect Friars.
Their profound faith and selfless love served as the foundation for the rapid growth of various institutions of charity in the country and one of these institutions is Colegio de San Jose.
July 9, 1871 - signing of contract for the establishment of Colegio de San Jose between Reverend Father Ildefonso Moral, CM – Rector of Jaro Archdiocesan Seminary and Don Ricardo Mascuñana.
May 1, 1872 - mark the humble beginning of Colegio de San Jose. The Daughters of Charity opened a school to provide Christian education for young girls.
1877 - the Sisters decided to give up the school for lack of resources. However, Bishop Mariano Cuartero of Jaro, realizes the need of the catechetical services of the Sisters, gave them full charge of the Escuela Municipal, a free school for the poor located at corner Sta. Isabel and Lopez Jaena Streets.
March 19, 1896 - the inauguration of the new building of Colegio de San Jose owned and managed by the Daughters of Charity located at E. Lopez Street, Jaro. It was planned by Sor Juana Goitia
DC in partnership with Reverend Father Domingo Viera, CM through the collaborative efforts of the Congregation’s Superiors and members, lay benefactors and friends. The emphasis of instruction was Christian Vincentian education and formation.
September 14, 1917 - the establishment of Colegio del Sagrado Corazon de Jesus
1926 - Colegio de San Jose was granted by the government High School Diploma. It also offered College courses such as: Teacher Education, Music, Commerce and Secretarial.. The Escuela Municipal served as the laboratory for the in-campus practice teaching of Education students.
August 30, 1958 - Colegio de San Jose was burned
November 27, 1959 - the strong determination of the Sisters and the support of the Superiors of the Congregation: Sor Ana Cassassas, DC, Sor Hermenegilda Beroiz, DC, father Zacarias Subiñas, CM, the local church, its alumni, benefactors and friends, the new Colegio de San Jose was blessed by His Excellency Most Rev. Jose Ma. Cuenco, Archbishop of Jaro
September 6, 1967 - Opening of St. Louise de Marillac School of Miag-ao through the initiatives of Sister Tarsila Palermo, DC and Sr. Concepcion Gotera, DC